Monday, July 06, 2009

This Is Where I Live

Here is something I composed a long time ago. To share.

-Joyce


This Is Where I Live



I believe that every soul created in this space and time has somewhere to live. Whether breathing or lifeless, there is a place where we truly belong. So, embrace yourself. Pray you be prepared for the utmost divine creation.



The universe, a cosmic area where is possibly infinite in volume. Stars, dust, and everything you can think about exists right there. It is the walls of our lives, enclosing a mystery beyond our imaginations. No one alive knows what rests outside that strange barrier. Could it be something ghastly and dreadful? Or is there a paradise with mystical beings and their fantasy awaiting? Out of billions of other galaxies, the Milky Way lies in it, consisting approximately a hundred thousand light years in diameter. Its visibility from our planet is a hazy band of white luminosity that is glimpsed in the dark firmament, arching across the entire celestial sphere which is concentric and coaxial with the Earth.



There, I live.



The Earth, the third planet from the Sun and is the largest of the four terrestrial inner planets in the Solar System, both in mass and in diameter. It is also known as Gaia by the Pelasgians during the Classical Greece period, and in astronomy, the Latin name is Terra. Earth is the prime habitat to millions of species such as the amphibians, fish, birds, reptiles, insects, and mammals, which includes the human race. This place is grand, illustrious, and filled with much unfathomable wonders. Sir Isaac Newton once revealed a fascinating theory about every object that goes up must come down. It is known as gravity. Earth’s wide horizons are for us to explore, gain new knowledge, and to make an enthralling discovery. However, many unexplainable queries of nature are left unsolved although countless wise men had vainly tried to reveal the secrets of the planet. Their efforts were futile. All we know for now is that the forest green terrains spread wide across the sphere globe and is separated by unpredictable deep blue waters.



Along with the other creatures, that is where I live.



In South East Asia, a fertile piece of land slightly larger than New Mexico is developed into a country by the name of Malaysia. With its location at the bordering of Thailand, Indonesia and Brunei and along the Straits of Malacca as well as the South China Seas, Malaysia is strategic and is known as a legend for her natural resources. The fertile regions nurture sturdy trees into jungles which shelter the animals and humans living below, also providing juicy fruits to them for survival. She has plentiful of prospects, such as limestone hills and the marvellous pinnacles of the Mulu Caves in Sarawak, a state rich with historical sites and customs. The climate in Malaysia too is warm and tolerable whole year round, encouraging crops to grow well.



My mother land she is.



The people here consist of various races and religions, different cultures and colours, and an assortment of languages. It is a vivid society indeed. The unique flavour about Malaysians is that we live in unison despite the distinguish contrast in our traditions. There are the Malays, Indians, Chinese, Ibans, Kadazans, Penans, and many others living as a big family in a single nation. We teach, guide, learn, and comprehend one another with pure respect and admiration. As an example, ‘nasi lemak’, ‘char kuey teow’, and ‘chapati’ are food by different races but nonetheless enjoyed by everyone. Traditional art such as the ‘Sumazau’ dance and the ’Bharanathiyam’ dance is participated by young children of all races too. The abundance of joy and prosperity we shared together is definitely a memory to cherish in our lifetimes. Unity we achieve, harmony we sustain.



In that community is where I belong.



Facing the open Straits of Malacca where sea gulls soar through the bank of clouds above, white foams rolling up the warm, golden sands and red water crabs strolling on the beach, I could taste the salty air each day. As the Sun radiates its glare every dawn, the water glimmers like precious pearls floating to shore. I experience the cooling, gentle breeze during the days, with zephyr tickling my neck as I stand wide-armed to summon pleasure. There in Port Dickson, a solid brick house that was built by my father’s own hands in year 1988 stands proud as a residence for a family of five. The walls are painted in ivory white, signifying glory and splendour. With the tone of crimson red on the roofs of our dwelling, it demonstrates courage and nobility of the inhabitants in it. We also have a stunted tree in front of the building, and my father constructed a tiny playhouse on one of the strong branches low enough for us to mount up.



Welcome to my humble abode.



Fifteen years ago, I was brought into the world after the escape from my mother’s womb. My father loves telling stories about my childhood during the time when he had to bathe, feed, and raise me up. My face was only his palm size. I reminisce the moments when my brothers tug at my pigtails for fun and leisure, one on each side of the head. It had hurt a lot, but the recollection was priceless. As a homemaker, my mother had great passion in baking scrumptious pastries and mouth-watering cakes that she made them for breakfast every weekend without fail. I am certainly proud to say I helped out tremendously in the eating process. She was satisfied. Besides, I could remember the stars as they wink at me teasingly on dark skies when we spent our time camping out at the backyard in tents made out of large pieces of bright yellow plastic sheets and long wooden sticks from cleaning mops as supports. We also collected piles of dried brown leaves and fallen twigs from the ground to ignite a fire while the five of us sit around it to roast marshmallows and sweet potatoes. The melodious sounds from the duet of the crickets and my father’s antique guitar still play in my head till this very day. On the nineteenth day of February year 1998, I recalled the solemn day when our old, faithful family dog, Thunder, left the world to a better place. Then again, I was not crying alone. My mother held me tight as I rested my head against her shoulders, whispered into my ears and said that we mortal beings have to leave this enchanting place someday. I learnt to trust her whole-heartedly.



I learnt to accept.



I felt the eternal binding love between us and the warmth they emit banish every fear I had as a child. They were there for me, shielding me away from any form of harm, and teaching me the philosophy of this beautiful life. In this family, I realise the importance to appreciate what I have and to be strong under any circumstances. From the bottom of my heart, I am thankfully glad that I found the right place. Under the universe. In the Milky Way. On the Earth, with people so civil. Below the twinkling stars. In a sheltered home. Born into a family of eternal blooming love.



This is where I live.





1 comment:

datuklouis said...

Inspiring. Unfortunately, tourists give a completely different perspective. HAHAHA
Nice one Joyce! Rock on~