Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Season is Here!

Dad came home today with a box of mooncakes; it was a green rectangular box with simple oriental designs and printed Chinese art on the cover, containing 4 different flavoured mooncakes. A gift from a friend, he said.

Durian Lotus Paste with Single Yolk
Snow Skin White Lotus Paste
Assorted Nuts "Ng Yan"
Dragon Fruit Lotus Paste

mmm..

With Mooncake Festival just around the corner, you can see most food outlets and bakeries displaying their own brand of this traditional delicacy almost everywhere you go. Honestly, it is the vibrant-coloured packagings that really catch my attention. My personal favourite would be those boxes made out of wood, almost looking like a Japanese bento box. Classic indeed.

The one I have at home today; the one that marks the beginning of the festival, is from Genting, the City of Entertainment, or so it seems.

And so, my brother and I attacked the box immediately, trying to decide which flavour to choose. Only because the Durian Lotus Paste with Single Yolk had a yolk inside, my brother insisted that we open that one first. Fine, I said. But before I could run to take my camera, the mooncake was gone, proving that my family warmly welcomes the season.

Then, dad saw the Assorted Nuts "Ng Yan" mooncake (his favourite), but mum saw the Snow Skin White Lotus Paste (the only green coloured mooncake in the box) flavoured mooncake and wanted to have a taste. Being the gentleman in the family, dad obviously gave in. This time, I had my camera with me.


The taste was very mild, and the texture was very creamy (I think that it was made out of marzipan, and it was left unrefrigerated. That's why it looks so mushy). What's fun is that you can crunch on the melon kernel seeds. To be honest, I am not a fan of mooncakes, but I guess that I just enjoy the happy atmosphere when everyone else is enjoying their share of the delicacy.

There is much history to this festival, go check it out on Google. May this rich culture live on in our community! Besides, at what other suitable occasions can you play lighted paper lanterns and coloured candles with your neighbours, friends and loved ones?

Happy celebrating!

p.s. Happy 52nd Birthday Malaysia!

1 comment:

datuklouis said...

holidays yet? holidays yet? X3 X3 X3
how were your trials?

Durian mooncake............ salivating already XD

Enjoy the season, and happy merdeka~